Thursday, February 18, 2010

How do I remove blue protective film covering from my clear acrylic basketball backboard.?

Previous owner never installed or mounted this Porter Official size (6' x 3.5') clear acrylic basketball backboard and also never removed the blue protective film. I just purchased it from him for $50 (original price $1000+). I have been carefully scraping away with a razor; I have tried ammonia, bleach, mineral spirts, Goof-off, 3m adhesive release agent, soap/water, fire (grill fire starter), steel wool (too abrasive). I haven't tried steam or a heat gun. Any suggestions?How do I remove blue protective film covering from my clear acrylic basketball backboard.?
The problem here is that the two aren't that different molecularly. Heat gun and steam could deform and fog the acrylic backboard (low melting point). Anything that would dissolve the plastic covering would get the acrylic (actually, the covering might be slightly more resistant). The only thing I can think of that might help is to allow it to be bombarded by UV (ie: leave it in the sun). The covering might get brittle enough to flake off. Past that, good old elbow grease and time will eventually get it off.
  • microsoft word>
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment