Thursday, February 18, 2010

Before I do an oil, I layer two coats of gesso, white, and then acrylic paint mixed with clear matte gel-paste

I suggest you use only two coats of gesso first one thinned down to soak into the canvas then a medium coat to finish let dry before painting -- your finished painting will be longer lasting and have higher appeal.Before I do an oil, I layer two coats of gesso, white, and then acrylic paint mixed with clear matte gel-paste
when using oils you need to size the canvas/support before the gesso. if you dont the oil may sink into the weave and cause it to rot at some later date. you need to get some caesin size, bone glue size or rabbit skin glue size. try your local hardware store or order some online at www.greatart.co.ukBefore I do an oil, I layer two coats of gesso, white, and then acrylic paint mixed with clear matte gel-paste
Don't use the acrylic paint with oil paint or your painting will crack it about a year. The gesso should be sufficient. Maybe more than two coats though. Gesso is meant to be a primer for everything. That's all you need.
no need for acrylic paint 2 coats of gesso is enought u use acrylic colored if u want to do a colored base only

No comments:

Post a Comment