Thursday, February 18, 2010

Clear, drink-safe sealant for acrylic?

I'm going to be building a model of a cup I designed out of stacked, lasercut acrylic pieces (I'm taking a SolidWorks model, slicing it horizontally, and building the cup from those slices). Ideally, this cup will be actually useable, which would require that the acrylic be somehow sealed in a way that is both watertight and non-toxic.





I have had experience with using acrylic solvent to create strong bonds between pieces, and I think that I could make it watertight if I'm careful- but are there any toxic chemicals still present after the stuff dries?





The other way I've thought of is to use aquarium-grade silicon, since that is reasonably clear and is both watertight and nontoxic- but it's also very thick, and a thinner formula would be far better suited for my purposes.





Has anyone used one of these methods before? Does anyone know of any sealants that fit my needs?





Thanks for any help you can give.Clear, drink-safe sealant for acrylic?
Call the mfg of the adhesive you want to use.





Check out Alibre, you should be able to get a free copy for home use and import your .step file from the class.
  • microsoft word>
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment