Sunday, February 7, 2010

Does a clear acrylic guitar need a pickguard?

Here's the issue, there is a clear bass guitar I want, but I don't want to scratch it up. But, there is no place to screw in a pick guard. Tape would look wierd unless there are pick guards for bass guitars without holes in it. Will the acrylic guitar get scratched just like wooden types if I don't put a pickguard on it?Does a clear acrylic guitar need a pickguard?
All guitars get scratched up whether you want them to or not. Beer happens, shows happen, they get dropped, knocked against the drums, bump into mic stands, etc.





I don't think that a bass really needs a pickguard though. Every bass player I've ever worked with either used their fingers or a pick, but didn't strum like a regular guitar.





You shouldn't need one, but if you think that you do, go to hobby lobby and get some clear contact paper, it will be pretty much invisible and it's cheap to replace if you think it starts getting scratched up. And...it won't do any damage to the finish on your bass. I've never used it for a musical instrument but I have used it on the rocker panels of my hot rods to protect the paint from rubber during burnouts.





If it's good enough for my cars, it's good enough for a guitar.





Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment